What is World Book Night?
World Book Night’s mission is to inspire people who don’t regularly read, or have access to printed books, to sit down and read a great book by giving them one of 30 carefully chosen titles… for free. The books are chosen by a panel of librarians and booksellers, and this year they include:
- Girl With a Pearl Earring, by Tracy Chevalier
- Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury
- The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho
- Bossypants, by Tina Fey
- The Phantom Tollbooth, by Norton Juster and Jules Feiffer
- Playing For Pizza, by John Grisham
- Montana Sky, by Nora Roberts
- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, by Mark Twain
- Me Talk Pretty One Day, by David Sedaris
- The House on Mango Street, by Sandra Cisneros
- and 20 others
The books’ authors waive their royalties and the books’ publishers pay the production costs of specially-printed World Book Night editions. Bookstores and libraries come onboard as community host centers for the 25,000 volunteer book givers who will be distributing half a million free books.
There are going to be twenty-eight simultaneous World Book Night Kick-Off Events around the United States on the evening of Monday, April 22, featuring this year's WBN authors. One of the anchor events will be Ann Patchett and James Patterson appearing together at Parnassus Books in Nashville that evening. A map of all the events can be found HERE.
While it's too late to become an official volunteer book giver for this year's event, it's not too late to choose to participate in a way that feels good to you.
What can YOU give away (or do) to support readers
and writers on World Book Night--April 23rd?
Here are some possiblities. You can:
- Have a book giveaway for one or more of the books you've written--print OR ebooks.
- Go through your bookshelves and "recycle" books you're never going to read again (or ever) by giving them away to friends and family, donating them to your local library, or finding other creative ways of getting them back into circulation, whether into your local or online community.
- Give away services or a product that helps writers write or promote their books, through a contest or random giveaway (that's what I'm doing).
- Blog about the joys and benefits of either reading or writing... or BOTH!
- Brainstorm a totally unique and fun way to support readers and/or writers on World Book Night.
To Celebrate World Book Night I'm Giving Away
Free Book Coaching for writers!
(this is now closed)
In fact, I'm giving away free coaching in FOUR different ways...
- Over the coming weeks, I'm going to blog the answer to as many of your questions as I can. So, when you post your book writing, book proposal, or book promotion
question in the comments section below, there's a chance I may pick YOUR question to blog about.
- On May 1st, I'm giving away a free hour-long one-on-one coaching session
to the person who submitted my favorite question in the comments section between April 20th and
April 30th, 2013. It could be the most creative question, or the most unusual, or the most universal. It's hard to give you any hints about what I'm looking for, because I won't know it until I see it.
- I'm also giving away a free hour-long one-on-one coaching
session randomly to a person who posts a question or comment, below, between April
20th and April 30th.
- And finally, I'm giving up to an extra 90 minutes of free one-on-one coaching to EVERYONE who signs up for coaching with me between April 20th and April 30th, 2013. (Go to my Coaching Page for more details)
So please leave your book writing (or book promotion) question in the comments section below for a chance to receive some free book coaching.
-- While the free book coaching contest has ended, suggestions of what you'd like to me address on WritingSpirit are always aprreciated.
What are YOU doing to celebrate World Book Night?